Financial Industry Studies
- Curriculum Vitae
Jeffery W. Gunther
Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas
Jeffery W. Gunther is vice president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, where he oversees analysis of financial institutions and their supervisory environment. His primary focus involves the detection of emerging risks to the banking system. Gunther received a Ph.D. in economics from Southern Methodist University in 1995.
Jeffery W. Gunther
Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas
Areas of Research
- Financial institutions, economics of regulation.
Refereed Journal Publications
- "Return Dependence and the Limits of Product Diversification in Financial Firms," with Thomas B. Fomby and Jian Hu, Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, 44, September 2012, 1151–83.
- "Early Warning Models in Real Time," with
Robert R. Moore, Journal of Banking and Finance 27, October 2003, 1979–2001.
- "Loss Underreporting and the Auditing Role
of Bank Exams," with Robert R. Moore, Journal
of Financial Intermediation 12, April 2003, 153–77.
- "Safety and Soundness and the CRA: Is There
a Conflict?" Economic Inquiry 40, July 2002,
- "Adverse Selection and Competing Deposit Insurance
Systems in Pre-Depression Texas," with Linda
M. Hooks and Kenneth J. Robinson, Journal of Financial
Services Research 17, September 2000, 237–58.
- "Predicting Bank Failures: A Comparison of
On- and Off-Site Monitoring Systems," with Rebel
A. Cole, Journal of Financial Services Research 13, April 1998, 103–17.
- "Mexican Banks and the 1994 Peso Crisis: The
Importance of Initial Conditions," with Robert
R. Moore and Genie D. Short, North American Journal
of Economics and Finance 7, December 1996, 125–33.
- "Separating the Likelihood and Timing of Bank
Failure," with Rebel A. Cole, Journal of
Banking and Finance 19, September 1995, 1073–89.
- "Bank Credit and Economic Activity: Evidence
from the Texas Banking Decline," with Cara S.
Lown and Kenneth J. Robinson, Journal of Financial
Services Research 9, January 1995, 31–48.
- "Regional Capital Imbalances and the Removal
of Interstate Banking Restrictions," Economics
Letters 44, April 1994, 439–42.
- "Crédito y Actividad Económica
en México," with Robert R. Moore, Economía
Mexicana, nueva época 2, December 1993,
- "Increasing the Efficiency of Pooled Estimation with a Block-Diagonal Covariance Structure," with Ronald H. Schmidt, Annals of Regional Science 27, June 1993, 133–42.
Contributions to Collective Volumes
- "Copula-GARCH Time-Varying Tail Dependence," with Jiaqi Chen, in Advances in Econometrics 30 (Dek Terrell and Daniel Millimet, eds.), Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 2012, 411–25.
- "Universal Access, Cost Recovery, and Payment Services," with Sujit Chakravorti and Robert R. Moore, in Financial Institutions and Markets: The Financial Crisis–An Early Retrospective, Robert R. Bliss and George G. Kaufman, eds., New York: Palgrave Macmillan, December 2010, 225–40.
- "The Likelihood and Extent of Banks' Involvement
with Interest Rate Derivatives as End Users,"
with Thomas F. Siems, in Research in Finance 19 (Andrew H. Chen, ed.), 2002, 125–42.
- "U.S. Banks, Competition, and the Mexican
Banking System: How Much Will NAFTA Matter?"
with William C. Gruben and John H. Welch, in NAFTA
and Trade Liberalization in the Americas (Elsie
Echeverri-Carroll, ed.), Bureau of Business Research
in cooperation with the IC2 Institute,
University of Texas at Austin, November 1995, 97–132.
- "Empirically Assessing the Role of Moral Hazard in Increasing the Risk Exposure of Texas Banks," with Kenneth J. Robinson, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago Proceedings of a Conference on Bank Structure and Competition, May 1991, 199–220.
Policy and Trade Journal Publications
- "Small Banks Far from Thriving, Partly Because
of Credit Unions," with Robert R. Moore, American
Banker, August 20, 2004, 10.
- "Should CRA Stand for 'Community Redundancy
Act'?" Cato Institute, Regulation 23,
No. 3, 2000, 56–60.
- "Actividad Macroeconómica y condiciones
del crédito en México," with Robert
R. Moore, Revista Bimestral de la Comisión
Nacional Bancaria, November/December 1993, 43–7.
- "Deficit Reduction and Financial Liberalization:
A Mexican Triumph," with Genie D. Short and Robert
R. Moore, Mexican Business Review, October
- "Restructuring the Texas Thrift Industry: Implications
for U.S. Financial Institutions," with Genie
D. Short, Bankers Magazine, March/April 1989,
- "Oil Price Volatility Increases Importance of Crude Oil Futures," Energy in the News, New York Mercantile Exchange, Fourth Quarter 1986, 28.
Federal Reserve Publications
- "Community Banks Weather the Storm," with Kelly Klemme, in Financial Stability: Traditional Banks Pave the Way, January 2013.
- "A Lender for Tough Times," with Kelly Klemme, in Financial Stability: Traditional Banks Pave the Way, January 2013.
- "Small Banks Squeezed," with Kelly Klemme, in Financial Stability: Traditional Banks Pave the Way, January 2013.
- "Financiers of the World, Disunite," with Jiaqi Chen, Economic Letter, November 2011
- "Cycle-Resistant Credit Systems: Learning from Hong Kong's Experience," with Ying Guan and Sophia Tsai, Economic Letter, June 2010.
- "Taming the Credit Cycle by Limiting High-Risk Lending," Economic Letter, June 2009.
- "Hedge Fund Investors More Rational Than Rash," with Anna Zhang, Economic Letter, August 2007.
- "Has the
Housing Boom Increased Mortgage Risk?" with
Robert R. Moore, Southwest Economy, September/October
Banks' Competitors Loom Large," with Robert
R. Moore, Southwest Economy, January/February
2004, 1 and 9–13.
Derivatives Delirium," with Thomas F. Siems, Southwest Economy, March/April 2003, 1 and
the Auditors: Oversight or Overkill?" with
Robert R. Moore, Economic and Financial Policy
Review, Vol. 1, No. 5, 2002.
- "Can the
Stock Market Tell Bank Supervisors Anything They Don't
Already Know?" with Robert R. Moore, Economic
and Financial Review, Second Quarter 2001, 2–9.
Statements and Reality: Do Troubled Banks Tell All?" with Robert R. Moore, Economic and Financial Review,
Third Quarter 2000, 30–5.
a Rock and a Hard Place: The CRA–Safety and
Soundness Pinch," Economic and Financial
Review, Second Quarter 1999, 32–41.
Mix and Lending Environment Variability: What Does
the Average Bank Face?" with Kenneth J. Robinson, Economic and Financial Review, Second Quarter
or Red Herring?" with Kelly Klemme and Kenneth
J. Robinson, Southwest Economy, May/June
- "Are Capital Requirements Effective? A Cautionary
Tale from Pre-Depression Texas," with Linda M.
Hooks and Kenneth J. Robinson, Financial Industry
Studies, August 1997, 1–11.
- "Bank Consolidation: When Less Means More," Financial Industry Studies, December 1996,
- "A CAMEL Rating's Shelf Life," with Rebel
A. Cole, Financial Industry Studies, December
- "Who's Capitalizing on Derivatives?" with
Thomas F. Siems, Financial Industry Studies,
July 1995, 1–8.
- "FIMS: A New Monitoring System for Banking
Institutions," with Rebel A. Cole and Barbara
G. Cornyn, Federal Reserve Bulletin 81, Board
of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, January
- "When Are Failing Banks Closed?" with
Rebel A. Cole, Financial Industry Studies,
December 1994, 1–12.
- "Banking Panics and the Creation of the Federal
Reserve System," with Robert R. Moore, Economic
Study Guide, Fall 1994, 5–7.
- "U.S. Banks, Competition, and the Mexican Banking
System: How Much Will NAFTA Matter?" with William
C. Gruben and John H. Welch, Financial Industry
Studies, October 1993, 11–25.
- "The Movement Toward Nationwide Banking: Assessing
the Role of Regional Banking Difficulties," Financial
Industry Studies, December 1992, 1–9.
- "The Texas Credit Crunch: Fact or Fiction?"
with Kenneth J. Robinson, Financial Industry Studies,
June 1991, 1–10.
- "Moral Hazard and Texas Banking in the 1980s:
Was There a Connection?" with Kenneth J. Robinson, Financial Industry Studies, December 1990,
- "Financial Strategies and Performance of Newly
Established Texas Banks," Financial Industry
Studies, December 1990, 9–14.
- "Texas Banking Conditions: Managerial Versus
Economic Factors," Financial Industry Studies,
October 1989, 1–18.
- "The Texas Thrift Situation: Implications for
the Texas Financial Industry," with Genie D.
Short, Financial Industry Studies, September
- "Problem Loans and the Profitability of Eleventh District Commercial Banks in 1986," with Robert T. Clair, Economic Review, November 1987, 15–27.
- Ph.D., Economics, 1995, Southern Methodist University.
Contact Jeffery W. Gunther